Back to Career Pathways
Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators, Surface Mining
- Typical education: High School Diploma
- New York State: $38,310-$73,100 per year
- Capital Region: $40,000-$61,150 per year
- Central New York: $38,950-$69,930 per year
- Finger Lakes: $36,530-$58,840 per year
- Hudson Valley: $44,030-$87,170 per year
- Long Island: $45,600-$83,330 per year
- Mohawk Valley: $36,180-$53,390 per year
- New York City:
- North Country: $36,110-$50,230 per year
- Southern Tier: $36,720-$61,050 per year
- Western New York: $34,450-$58,540 per year
- More levers, depress foot pedals, and turn dials to operate power machinery such as power shovels, stripping shovels, scraper loaders, or backhoes.
- Set up or inspect equipment prior to operation.
- Become familiar with digging plans, machine capabilities and limitations, and with efficient and safe digging procedures in a given application.
- Observe hand signals, grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines so that work can be performed to specifications.
- Operate machinery to perform activities such as backfilling excavations, vibrating or breaking rock or concrete, making winter roads.